Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oh saturday how I love youuu

I look forward to Saturday alll week. I love sleeping in with hubs, getting up and getting to actually enjoy my coffee (as opposed to chugging it on the way out the door the rest of the week), eating a good breakfast, reading blogs, watching TV- I could go on and on. 


As I type I can smell turkey bacon and eggs being cooked in the kitchen =)


My challenge for day 11 is to post a recipe. I posted several recipes of things we cooked this past week and I don't typically cook new things on the weekend. 


Tomorrow being the Super Bowl, I do have football food on my mind. I searched the internet for semi-healthy recipes that are based around our traditional football food and I found some!


I think I am going to cook...


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oven "Fried" Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce courtesy of Cooking Light


image from cookinglight.com



  • Sauce:
  • 1/4  cup  honey
  • 1/4  cup  spicy brown mustard
  • Chicken:
  • 1 1/2  pounds  chicken breast tenders (about 16 pieces)
  • 1/2  cup  low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/2  cup  coarsely crushed cornflakes
  • 1/4  cup  seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1  tablespoon  instant minced onion
  • 1  teaspoon  paprika
  • 1/4  teaspoon  dried thyme
  • 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1  tablespoon  vegetable oil

1. To prepare sauce, combine honey and mustard in a small bowl; cover and chill.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. To prepare chicken, combine chicken and buttermilk in a shallow dish; cover and chill 15 minutes. Drain chicken, discarding liquid.
4. Combine cornflakes and next 5 ingredients (cornflakes through pepper) in a large zip-top plastic bag; add 4 chicken pieces to bag. Seal and shake to coat. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Spread oil evenly in a jelly-roll pan, and arrange chicken in a single layer in pan. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with sauce.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*While your average restaurant chicken fingers would run you about 350-400 calories for 2 chicken fingers and some sauce, these run you about half of that!*
Along with the chicken fingers we will definitely be having the heath blondies that I posted yesterday. And they are definitely not light. =)
I'm off to eat, shower, and get ready to decorate my classroom with my mom! Be back tonight with the best outfittt

1 comment: