Monday, July 12, 2010

Kramer Vs. Kramer and Caddyshack


Last night we decided we wanted to start tackling the AFI Top 100 movies list. We watched two that were available on our Netflix "Instant Queue". The first movie that we watched was Caddyshack. Pat had seen it and I had seen bits and pieces but we thought it would be an easy one to begin with.


I thought it was hilarious! The graphics were hilarious and the gopher was ridiculous- but Chevy Chase was hot and the characters were pretty funny.


Kramer Vs. Kramer was a different story. I cried my EYES out. If you guys haven't seen it you should rent it. It was made in 1979 and stars Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. Dustin plays Ted, an ad executive who is completely divulged in his career. Meryl plays Joanna, his wife who has left her career in art and fashion to stay home and raise their six year old son, Billy. One day Joanna decides she can't take it anymore and leaves to go "find herself" and leaves Billy with the workaholic husband. He has to make a ton of adjustments and literally has to learn to raise him. He ends up completely falling in love with his son and they quickly become inseperable. Of course... ole Joanna "finds herself" and after 18 months decides she wants to come back and take her son. The result is a severely sad situation for a child and a nasty custody battle. I won't spoil the plot but I will say it is worth watching to find out.

After the movie was over and I wiped up the tears, we had a conversation. I told Pat that no matter what kind of issues or problems we have in our marriage (which we hope is very few) that I would NEVER do that to him or a child. He said the same. We made our promises again and I went to bed feeling a lot better. Obviously we have had the "we are never going to leave each other" discussion before but watching the movie and seeing the pain that the whole family went through really hit me. The kid was being torn in every direction- missed his mom, became best friends with his dad, mom tried to get him back, wanted to stay with dad but not hurt mom, etc. Way to much for a six year old to handle.

Anyway, now that we are clear that we are never going to leave each other or put a child in that situation I can go through my day in peace =)

No comments:

Post a Comment