Baked Ziti With Summer Veggies
Chop up a wholllle lot of veggies...
Combine your squash, zucchini, and onion
In another bowl combine your tomato and garlic...
Cook the ziti according to package directions.
Saute all your veggies for about 8 minutes (starting with S,Z,O combo and adding in T and G combo)
Remove the sautéed veggies from heat and add the pasta, mozzarella, salt, and fresh chopped basil and oregano.
Combine it together! Make sure it's a big skillet =)
Add one more mixture of ricotta and egg, cook for 15 minutes and here is the delicious result =)
The boys were happy so that made me happy- that and the fact that it was really good!
Here is the official recipe with measurements and stuff:
- YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
- COURSE: Casseroles, Main Dishes
- 4 ounces uncooked ziti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add squash, zucchini, and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- 4. Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg. Stir into pasta mixture. Spoon into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.